What is Open Hand?
Open Hand is a place where the working poor, and those on fixed incomes, can come for food and solace. Every volunteer is there because that’s where they believe God wants them to be. Open Hand is entirely dependent on the Biblical God for provision. We don't get our food from the Utah Food Bank or any other government entity. We primarily purchase the food with money God has provided, although we also accept and give away non-expired food that has been donated. We buy the food locally. Open Hand is not a program for the homeless; there are great Rescue Missions better equipped to assist them. We assist those that just can't make it without food help, the working poor, those on fixed incomes, those that are struggling to feed their children and/or themselves. We exist for one reason only: to help those in need with the love and compassion of the Biblical Jesus, and to show them that He loves them, too.
Where and when do we distribute?
Food is distributed for 3 hours on both the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month. Hours are from 10 am to 1 pm; the doors close at 12:45 pm. We distribute at the following location: Christian Heritage School 5120 s 1050 w Riverdale, UT 84405
Do I need to bring anything to get help?
- Valid picture I.D.
- A separate, other than driver's license, proof of address, a recent letter or bill
- Food cannot be given to more than one person from the same address, if you have a large family just tell us and we will accomodate. You must come in person for food there are no exceptions.
- We do NOT require a statement saying you attend church nor do we require you to pray with us
What can I do to help Open Hand?
There are dozens of different jobs to do and we need your help! "Behind the scene" jobs include: stocking, packing, and sacking groceries. Other jobs are more relational and you will need to sign our Statement of Faith; just hanging out and socializing, signing people in at the computers, helping with cookies and coffee, working with children, hauling food to the cars, etc. All volunteers must go through a short orientation on the same day and time of distribution.You can also donate food, we accept:
You can also donate money, here is how:
- Top Ramen
- Pinto Beans
- Corn Flakes, Cheerios, etc.
- Pancake Mix
- Peanut Butter
- Tuna Fish
- Tuna Pasta
- Green Beans
- Mac and Cheese
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Spaghetti Noodles
- Chicken Noodle or Rice Soup
- Turkey Franks
- Corn Muffin Mix
- Go to www.missionfish.org
- In the center of the page is "Find participating non-profits"
- Type in "Open Hand Ministry" and press "go"
- Open Hand Ministry will come up. Click on the "View" button about two-thirds of the way down the page in the gray area. Here you will find a brief description of what Open Hand does.
- On this page you can donate directly to Open Hand through PayPal, or you can elect to contribute to Open Hand whenever you buy or sell anything on eBay. You can do this as often as you want. *Federal employees, in the future look for the ability to donate through CFC.